Engineered designed rooftop air conditioners to be highly durable equipment to withstand the weather. However, your rooftop AC unit will eventually decrease performance.
You might ask yourself, “Should I repair or replace my commercial rooftop air conditioner?”
Commercial AC units are a significant investment. So you don’t want to replace them unless it makes the most financial sense.
As the leading HVAC company in Colorado Springs, Polar Bear Mechanical has served the community’s business owners for years. If your commercial rooftop AC seems to be malfunctioning, call us. We’ll run diagnostics and help you decide if it’s more worth it to repair it or replace it. Keep reading to learn more about whether to repair or replace a commercial rooftop AC unit!
What Is The Lifespan Of A Rooftop AC Unit?
Typically, a rooftop AC unit should last 15 to 20 years. However, weather damage, improper maintenance, deterioration from snow, type of AC model, and amount of use can reduce this. Schedule regular maintenance appointments with an HVAC specialist to ensure your air conditioner operates properly for as long as possible. Your HVAC professional can identify potential problems and address them before they become irreversible during maintenance appointments.
Common Rooftop AC Problems
Considering whether it makes more sense to repair or replace your rooftop AC unit, consider the following factors.
- If your commercial air conditioner is between 15 and 20 years old, you might consider replacing the unit. As units age, it takes more and more money and maintenance to ensure they operate decently. However, if the unit is still functioning perfectly fine and doesn’t have any damage, you may still be able to get a couple more years out of it.
- Overall Performance
- If your customers or employees constantly complain about hot and cold spots, inefficient cooling, or the inability to maintain constant temperatures, you know there’s something wrong. Speak with an HVAC technician to determine if the problems are fixable or if you need to invest in a new unit.
- Efficiency Reduction
- As a business owner, you must have confidence in your air conditioning system to perform efficiently. In addition, your responsibility is to ensure your employees and customers are comfortable in your commercial space. So, if your electricity bills have suddenly skyrocketed or you’re unable to cool your room, you should hire a professional to investigate the problem.
If your AC system is using too much energy to operate, toward the end of its life expectancy, or needs a costly repair, it’s probably best to replace it.
Repairing vs. Replacing An HVAC System
As a business owner, you know that your rooftop heating and cooling system is a significant investment. So, you want to enlist the help of HVAC professionals to help you decide if it just needs some repairs or if you should look into purchasing a new unit.
Constant repairs can cost you more than a new packaged rooftop unit, so you need a thorough understanding of the current state of your unit. Consider the following factors when replacing or repairing your commercial rooftop air conditioner.
- If the cost of repairs is at least half the cost of a new unit, it makes more financial sense to purchase a new AC unit.
- Depending on the size of your commercial building, you’ll need a cooling system of a specific size. Without a properly sized rooftop AC, you’ll never be able to cool your space efficiently. Have an HVAC technician make sure you have the right-sized unit installed.
- Energy Efficiency
- If you invest in a brand new air conditioner, you can invest in a more energy-efficient model. Plus, more energy-efficient units usually cost less to operate.
So Should You Repair or Replace Your Commercial Rooftop Air Conditioner?
As experienced HVAC technicians, the team at Polar Bear Mechanical can run diagnostics on your current commercial rooftop unit and help you decide if you should repair or replace it. We understand the importance of having an efficient and affordable cooling system. We’ll use our resources and experience to help you achieve a unit that meets your needs. If you’re having trouble deciding whether you should repair your current AC system or replace it, call our HVAC technicians today!