At Polar Bear Mechanical, we dedicate ourselves to providing the best HVAC services in Colorado Springs. We believe part of providing the best HVAC services is educating the community about different heating and cooling matters. By educating you, we hope to help you learn how to operate your heating and cooling systems efficiently and learn the warning signs of a failing system. If you learn what a failing system looks like, you’ll be able to call an HVAC professional immediately. The sooner you call an HVAC professional, the better chance you have of needing a repair instead of a costly replacement. Our team has put together a list of some behaviors that may be signs of a failing water heater.
Signs Of A Failing Water Heater
A water heater is one of the most important components of any HVAC system. Without a properly working water heater, you’re unable to enjoy hot showers and run your dishwasher correctly. Unfortunately, if you notice any of the following behaviors from your water heater, chances are your water heater is beginning to fail.
- You never seem to have enough hot water.
- If you struggle to do multiple things that require hot water, such as washing your dishes and then taking a shower, it means your water heater isn’t producing as much hot water as it should. With an efficient water heater, you’re able to use as much hot water as needed without worrying about running out.
- Your water temperature changes randomly.
- Have you ever taken a shower, and the water temperature fluctuates randomly? This is one of the most common signs of a failing water heater. A water heater with no issues will be able to provide you with a steady stream of hot water whenever needed.
- There is a leak.
- If you notice your water heater has a leak of any kind, it’s important to call an HVAC professional immediately. A leaking water heater means there’s a serious internal problem that needs to be taken care of.
- There is a change in water pressure.
- One of the most common signs of a failing water heater is a reduction in water pressure. This typically happens when your water heater has a buildup of sediment, which needs to be drained by an HVAC professional.
- Your water is a brownish color.
- The last thing you want to have is brown water coming out of your faucets. So if you notice your water is a strange color or there’s a strange smell whenever your water is running, it’s crucial to deal with the situation immediately. This change of color or smell usually means there’s bacteria or rust inside your water heater, prohibiting you from having clean running water.
- Strange sounds are coming from your water heater.
- If you begin to hear any noises such as squealing or banging, there’s a serious problem with your water heater. A buildup in your water heater or a failing heating element within the appliance usually produces strange noises.
Steps To Take If Your Water Heater Is Failing
If you notice any of the signs listed above or other strange behaviors from your water heater, it’s important to take the following steps to prevent irreparable damage.
- Turn off your water heater.
- A broken water heater that’s forced to continue operating can cause serious damage to your heating and cooling system. Not only will this make your utility bills spike because your water heater has to work harder than normal, but it can also cause more damage to your water heater.
- Turn off your water supply.
- After you turn off your water heater, the next step is to turn off your water supply. There should be a valve located on the water heater that allows you to turn off your water supply. If you can’t turn the valve for some reason, turn off the main water supply to your home. If you have any water heater issues, such as a leak, turning off the water supply will help minimize these problems.
- Call an HVAC professional.
- The most important thing to do if your water heater is failing is to contact an HVAC professional immediately. Having an HVAC expert look at your water heater and find exactly what’s wrong with it is important. The sooner you call a professional, the better your chances of needing a quick repair instead of a full water heater replacement.
Fix Your Water Heater With Polar Bear Mechanical
For the past 40 years, Polar Bear Mechanical has been the go-to company for HVAC services in Colorado Springs. So whether you’re experiencing issues with your water heater or you need commercial HVAC services, our HVAC experts are here to help! If you think your water heater is failing or it’s acting abnormally in any way, please contact us immediately. We’re prepared to help you solve any HVAC issue you may be experiencing.